If you want to take your business to the next level, you can do this by taking it online. Also known as e-commerce. E-Commerce has changed a lot in the last 5 to 10 years. Now more and more businesses are coming online, making it difficult for non-competent businesses to survive.
And in this post, we’re going to discuss the top 10 e-commerce challenges you may face if you’re thinking about starting your online business. You will learn how to solve these challenges by taking the right steps. So, please pay attention to it.
Here are the Top 10 Challenges that E-Commerce Business faces
- Choosing the right platform
- Website Speed
- Building Trust
- Competitor Analysis
- Security threats in the e-commerce
- Not Having a Right Marketing Plan
- Customer Experience
- Order Returns and Refunds
- Customer Services
1. Choosing the right platform
E-Commerce is about taking the right steps at the right time. If you lag than you may stay behind your competitors. Setting up the e-commerce store requires investment, time, and effort.
So, this is important for you to choose the right platform for your business to grow. It is an important area where many e-commerce sellers get confused.
You will have to choose the right platform to start your e-commerce business. Here are some of the points that you should consider while choosing your e-commerce platform:
- The platform should be easy to use, flexible and scalable
- It should have strong SEO features, Mobile Friendliness, Multi-Vendor Support
- Should have a great number of plugins, tools, and themes options
- Support should be good
- It should support marketing integrations, have right payment gateway options, inventory management, email software
- Most importantly, it should have top-notch security features
Some of the most popular choices are WooCommerce, Shopify, and BigCommerce. These platforms have different features and prices. You’re going to have to choose which one you want to go with.
In case you don’t want to start selling on your e-commerce website and instead want to start selling. You could start with Amazon, eBay. We offer e-commerce services such as listing, SEO, E-Commerce Store Optimization, Customer Support, then you can fill out this form and we will contact you.
2. Website Speed
Your website is your store, so your website must be loaded faster. It is also essential for SEO purposes. In the coming points, we’ll learn more about SEO.
If you fail to optimize your website and if it is loaded in more than 3 seconds, there is a chance that you will miss out on sales and conversions. Slow websites are frustrating to users and will close the window and look for any other options. Also, your website should have all the features that make it more user-friendly.
- Many tools can help you check your website loading speed, such tools are GTmetrix, Pingdom, Google PageSpeed Insights, etc. You can add your domain link and it will show your website speed both for desktop and mobile. Moreover, it will show the areas that you can optimize to improve your website loading speed.
- Also, you must use the Content Delivery Network for your images, videos to load faster. Caching another way of optimizing your website content so that when a returning customer is visiting your website it will load faster.
- Another option is to use new image formats like WebP and JPeg XR—this will help reduce image weight by 20-50% without compromising image quality.
- Moreover, another important thing to remember is choosing the right hosting plan while creating your website on WordPress or any other CMS platforms.
- Limiting the use of unnecessary plugins and other apps can also increase the loading speed of your e-commerce site.
3. Building Trust
This is another common but difficult challenge new e-commerce sites face. And if you are the new owner of the e-commerce site, you can relate to this. Converting your first-time visitors into paying customers can be hard when you’re new.
The website visitors will not complete checkout if they feel uncomfortable or doubt the credibility of your e-commerce site.
- Write a clear about us page with your website’s credentials, certificates, values, mission, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses.
- Add Trust badges, reviews and testimonials to build trust
- Have a clear and easy to understand Returns Policy, Refund Policy, Replacement Guarantee. Because first-time buyers check out the options to return a product if they don’t like it. Also, offering free delivery can increase the chances of conversions.
- The checkout page should have texts such as “100% Money Back Guarantee” or “Replacement Guarantee”. “If you are not satisfied with our products you can easily return within X number of days”. These are also going to build trust with your customers.
- Deliver as per your promises. Whatever promises or guarantees that you have made on your e-commerce websites, about the return policy, refund policy, replacement guarantee, free delivery charges, you must fulfill them.
This is one of the most important challenges that an e-commerce owner can face. If you fail to optimize your website for SEO then you can face a lot of problems. If SEO is done correctly then you can get a lot of organic traffic to your website without investing money in advertising.
We discussed the Website Speed on point no. 2. Here is some more information on SEO to tackle this challenge.
- It is important to have all the pages with unique meta-title tags under 60 characters and meta-description tags under 155-160 characters written to them. Meta tags help Search engines to learn what the page is all about.
- All images should have Alt tags. Alt tags describe what the images are for. This can be helpful when the images are not loaded. And also it helps search engine crawlers to index the images properly.
- You should also take care of the link structure of a page. It helps the users understand where the page is going to take them.
- Certain platforms have many tools that can help you with your SEO. For example, in WordPress, there are plugins like Yoast SEO, Rank Math that give useful information about your website SEO.
- Create interesting and informative content with proper keyword research and formatting for your website visitors. This can increase your chances of getting your posts featured on search engines. And for results, you can get a lot of organic traffic to your website.
- Your website needs to be mobile-friendly so that it will look perfect to the mobile users.
Click here to learn more about On-Site and Off-Site SEO.
5. Competitor Analysis
Competitor Analysis is one of the most important challenges that e-commerce website owners face. They know about their competitors’. However, without much data, they can not focus on the areas that can give them the edge over their competition.
In a competitive market, others will offer the same products and services as you. You have to make a strategy to differentiate yourself from competitors.
- Do thorough research on the products that are more in demand, Offer more such products and try to give better value
- Also, research the marketing platforms your competitors are using, check out their search engine rankings, also check out product listings
- Compare prices, website design, product qualities, product pictures and try to give better than your competitors
- Always try to give the latest products and remove outdated products by giving offers and discounts
- Give better payment options, customer services that will make you stand out from your competitions.
6. Security Threats in The E-Commerce
The online business is growing. It attracts a lot of undesired attention from hackers. They can take advantage of the weak spots in an e-commerce store. Security threats are a very important challenge that you can face.
These security threats can compromise the security of your website and can be used for theft and confidential pricing of your customers, unauthorized access to your control panel, spamming, and more. Hackers can also ask you for money in exchange for your website.
- Your website can be hacked easily if its codes are not well written, so it is important to choose a trusted and popular platform to start your e-commerce website.
- Another problem may be with outdated plugins and themes or plugins and themes downloaded from any unsafe website. These types of plugins and themes can be easily exploited. So, always update your plugins and themes to the latest version.
- Another major security flaw you can easily solve is the use of strong passwords with a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters. Keep updating your passwords every month, too.
- The server is the first hacker target since your site is located there. Using poor quality or shared hosting will make your website more vulnerable. Choose a private server to ensure that your website is free of any vulnerabilities.
- You should use trusted antivirus apps/plugins on your site to protect against malware attacks, spam comments, etc.
- Use a trusted payment gateway to provide you with payment-related security. And you can focus on other areas of your business without worrying about online payments.
You can learn more about website security issues and the steps you can take to fix those problems.
7. Not Having a Right Marketing Plan
The e-commerce market is too competitive, without a marketing plan, your business won’t succeed. And you will fall behind your competitors.
Before starting a business, you need to ask yourself a few questions. Which products are you going to sell? Who would you like to sell? What’s your goal? Where are you going to market? When are you going to market?
- You should always focus on the SEO of your website by optimizing pages, creating SEO optimized content. It will help you get organic traffic.
- Create a clean and user-friendly landing page where you can collect leads for your email marketing campaigns.
- Choose the right platforms for marketing efforts, you can also target based on customers’ interests, keywords, age, location, behavior, etc. So, it will show your ads to the people who are more likely to buy from your store.
- Better segmentation will help you market the right products to the right customers.
- “For clothing businesses, influencer marketing works very well, but if your e-commerce business is based around a product that solves a problem, getting your website to rank on Google for keywords related to that problem through SEO efforts might be your best bet,” said Nicholas Rubright, digital marketing specialist at e-commerce market research firm Zik Analytics. Also added, “Understanding your audience is key to figuring out which marketing channel will generate traffic that converts into sales.”
8. Customer Experience
Providing clients with an excellent shopping experience can be challenging. You’re going to have to focus on a lot of areas of it. You’ll also have to offer better than your competitors, as well as better than buying from a local store.
- Customer experience is important when it comes to e-commerce, as customers want to be treated as well or better online as face-to-face.
- You have to offer better pricing, quality than any competitors that will make them happy and they can buy from you
- Focus on the customer and try to concentrate on what can be done to make the customer experience better, such as a handwritten thank you letter with every order, a free gift that will boost consumer happiness.
9. Order Returns and Refunds
E-Commerce websites get a lot of returns. The reason can be anything like product defects, longer wait times. Product returns and refunds are important both for customers and to you.
In research, ComScore found out that 89% of online shoppers have made a return in the past 3 years and 77% of those returns come from repeat customers.
- Having a Return Policy and Refund Policy is important and can help customers shop in your e-commerce store without hesitation. And return any products that are not fully satisfied.
- You should have a transparent return and refund policy. So that the processes can be easily identified by your customers and potential customers.
- Make sure the policies are easily accessible and understandable to them.
10. Customer Support
Customer Support is another challenge that e-commerce companies face. If you fail to deliver the desired support then it can harm the relations with your customers.
With the right customer support services, you can build trust, increase sales, and overall it is very good for your businesses. Big e-commerce marketplaces such as Amazon has great customer service as they have huge resources, teams who can handle customer queries.
If you are a small e-commerce business you can do your best and can help people.
- Add a Contact us page on your website. Add all the contact details in it. Email address, phone number, social media links.
- Also, add a Live Chat app/plugin on your website so that your customer can promptly communicate with you.
- Build a friendly relationship with the customers, so that they can contact you without any hesitation. And get their issues resolved. Moreover, they can become returning customers.
I hope you will get an idea of the e-commerce challenges and solutions. Challenges are always there and you will have to solve those in order to grow your business. Customers’ expectations are also growing with advancements of technology every year. The challenges keep us working towards providing a better solution.
You may also like: